Bathroom waterproofing is a vital step in the renovation of any bathroom or wet area (laundry, butlers pantry etc). It is also one of the most common major defects that causes damage to your property. In fact, it’s so common that Fair Trading has now classed waterproofing as structural works, and any failure to the waterproofing is now classed as a structural defect (the same goes for Balcony and underground waterproofing)
If water does leak from your bathroom, it can lead to structural timbers rotting and damage to other rooms in the property. Ultimately it protects your property from extensive (expensive) damage.
Think you have a waterproofing issue?
- Water dripping under a shower or water seepage around the walls and floor
- Mould growing on the walls and/or floor
- Squelching or any movement of the floor tiles
Why do I have Waterproofing Problems?
As mentioned, bathrooms waterproofing is one of the most common, damage causing, major defeats. So why do they occur? Here are some of the most common causes for waterproofing failures:
- The waterproofing layer is not applied in the correct sequence. Waterproofing needs to be applied before the walls and floors receive their final finish.
- Choosing the incorrect waterproofing product for the specific application. There are many different waterproofing products available and are designed for certain uses.
- Rushing and not allowing enough time for the waterproofing to properly cure.
- Not installing waterproofing in the required areas of the bathroom or to the necessary height.
And worst of all, but sadly not uncommon:
- Skipping waterproofing altogether.
The best way to avoid these waterproofing problems is to engage a licensed and insured waterproofer like STS Plumbing. We have the experience and knowledge needed to choose the correct product and install it properly for your bathroom type.
Can I DIY it?
Due to the number of complaints in relation to waterproofing, in NSW you can only do your own waterproofing if you’re licensed to do so (i.e. the work must be done by someone with a licence). Fortunately we have that licence and are across the Australian Standard AS3740-2010 - 'Waterproofing of domestic wet areas' so you don’t have to be!
When do I need STS Plumbing?
For all bathroom waterproofing rectification enquiries, we will work with you to establish a plan for action.
As there are really only two ways to fix bathroom and wet room waterproofing failures:
- An epoxy treatment can be applied to the tiles on the floor and wall to create a protective barrier to moisture and water.
- Demolishing the bathroom; removing tiles, and wall and floor surfaces and reapplying the waterproof membrane again.
It is important to understand your needs, budget and timeframe before deciding how to proceed.
Fortunately STS Plumbing are also bathroom renovation experts, so if you decide to start your bathroom again, we can walk you through the process and manage the project for you.
Q: Are you licensed?
Not only are we licensed waterproofers we are also licenced Plumbers which means we know water, and where it should, and shouldn’t be.
Q: Do you offer a warranty
We proudly offer a 7 year warranty on all our Bathroom waterproofing solutions
Q: Do you provide/source all materials
Yes. Because we are passionate about doing the job right, we insist on providing materials to best suit the job at hand.